Isothermal Community College

Office of Admissions

Admissions Requirements

New students at Orientation

Step One - Residency

Step Two - Application

  • Submit an application to the Admissions Office through CFNC.
  • Use the same account username and password that you used for RDS in Step 1 Residency. These state systems are linked and use your same profile information between the two websites. Save your RDS/CFNC account name (user name) and password!
  • You have completed the application when all the checkmarks appear on the left-hand side and you have used the SUBMIT button.
  • Once you have successfully completed the application, you will immediately receive an email from the Admissions team with your next steps.
  • If you do not receive an email from the Admissions team, please review your application and complete all missing information until all the checkmarks appear on the left-hand side and you are able to use the SUBMIT button.
  • If you have questions or need assistance, please email or call 828-395-4193.

Step Three - Transcripts

  • Send official transcripts to or Admissions Office, Isothermal Community College, PO Box 804, Spindale, NC 28160.
  • You may be able to request an official high school transcript through the CFNC website. If not, contact your high school.
  • Order your GED transcripts through Diploma Sender and send to
  • Order Adult High School transcripts through the issuing institution. For Isothermal Adult High School transcripts, contact Barbara Callahan at or 828-395-1631.
  • Verify when your transcript is received at Isothermal on your Patriot Port under My Documents.
  • Official college transcripts are required if you wish to receive transfer credit.

Step Four - Financial Aid

Great news, we have money available if you qualify!

Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in allowing the majority of our Rutherford and Polk county students to attend tuition free with the substantial supporting endowment of the Lee Powers Promise Scholarship.

We encourage all citizens and permanent residents to apply.

For assistance completing the FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Office at or 828-395-4198.

Step Five - Placement Test

More great news!

Unless you graduated from a foreign high school, chances are you will not have to take the placement exam.

The placement test (or parts of it) can be waived with the following:

  • High School transcript less than 10 years old will place you in appropriate classes. Students with high school transcripts more than 10 years old can opt-out of the placement exam and take transition courses OR take the placement exam.
  • Previous ASSET, Compass, or Accuplacer scores no more than 10 years old.
  • ACT Scores (English = 18+, Math = 22+, Reading = 21+) (no more than 10 years old).
  • SAT Scores from March 2016 and future: (Evidence-based Reading and Writing = 480+, Math = 530+) (no more than 10 years old).
  • Previous English and math college courses (must be evaluated by ICC) with an official college transcript
  • If you would like to be evaluated for a waiver, please have official copies of your high school transcript and/or previous testing or courses sent directly from the issuing institution to or (in a sealed envelope from issuing institutions) to the Admissions Office, Isothermal Community College, PO Box 804, Spindale, NC 28160.
  • Our academic advisors are happy to talk to you about your options. If needed, schedule your placement test once all the relevant documents mentioned above are received at Isothermal Community College.

Find out more about our placement testing process.

Step Six - Registering for Class(es)

You can register for classes after the above criteria are met. Access your Academic Advisor’s name on under your AVISO account.

Make an appointment with your academic advisor to register for classes as soon as possible. Please contact the administrative assistant of your division to find out when the next registration period is for new students.

If you do not know in which division your program resides, please contact the Admissions Office at or 828-395-4193.

Step Seven - Orientation

Complete your mandatory orientation online through your Moodle account.

More information about mandatory orientation.

Academic semesters are defined using the general timelines listed below. For the most current dates for your preferred academic year, please refer to the College Calendar. Also, note that there may be shorter terms within the full semester to best meet the needs of our students.

Fall: August 15 – December 31
Spring: January 1 – May 15
Summer: May 16 – August 14