Skip to main content



Associate in Arts (A.A.)

Curriculum Description

The A.A. degree consists of course requirements in three different groups: 31-32 hours in the Universal General Education Component (UGETC); 13-14 hours in Additional General Education Electives (GEN ED); 11 hours in Pre-Major Electives (PM ELEC); and 4 hours in Other Required Hours (ACA 122 and CIS 110). Courses used to satisfy the UGETC group can be used to satisfy the GEN ED and PM ELEC groups, but only courses listed in the UGETC group can satisfy the UGETC group. Course selections wherever there are options should be based on student’s intended major and transfer university.

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement:

The North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and NC public universities. Its objectives is the smooth transfer of students.

Transferability of Courses:

A Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between North Carolina Community College System and the 16 institutions of the University of North Carolina contain the following components: (See advisors in the Advising Center for additional information).

  1. Students who complete the A.A. degree at a college within the North Carolina Community College System are assured admission to one of the 16 universities within the UNC system and will transfer as juniors. (Note: This agreement does not guarantee acceptance at the student’s first choice institution.)
  2. Students who complete the A.A. or A.S. degree, with grades of C or higher in all courses and an overall GPA of at least 2.0, prior to transfer to a UNC institution, will have satisfied the UNC institution’s lower-division requirements in general education.
  3. The A.A. and A.S. degree programs are comprised of two components: 1) the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) of 30 semester hours and, 2) additional general education, pre-major, and elective courses that are selected by students according to the requirements of their intended major at the transfer institution.
  4. Students who complete all courses in the UGETC with a grade of C or higher and an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher will be granted credit toward the university’s lower-division general education requirements.
  5. Students who satisfactorily complete transfer-level courses that are not within the UGETC will receive transfer credit for the courses, but the university will determine whether to award the credits as general education, pre-major, or elective.
  6. Each UNC university is required to publish and maintain its degree plans so that community college students can select clear pathways toward completion of baccalaureate degrees.

*Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreements (ICAA) allow for transfer to a limited group of private colleges.

Students who transfer to private colleges that are not included in the I.C.A.A or to public universities outside of North Carolina will have their transcripts evaluated in accordance with the policies of the university to which they are transferring. The final decision om transferability rests with the transfer institution.

What college can I transfer to with an Associate of Arts Degree?


  • Any of the 16 University of North Carolina institutions

Private, including:

  • Gardner-Webb University
  • Limestone College
  • Montreat College
  • Lenoir-Rhyme University

Graduates will be able to:

  • Communicate effectively through writing, reading, speaking, and listening through the demonstration of information literacy
  • Analyze problems and make logical conclusions.
  • Demonstrate positive interpersonal skills through cooperative learning and group interaction
  • Demonstrate quantitative competencies
  • Demonstrate technology skills
  • Demonstrate an awareness and an understanding of diverse culture and historical perspective
  • Transfer successfully the entire core into a Bachelor’s Degree program at any state university in North Carolina to which they are accepted, as well as many other universities and colleges in the United States. Further, students that go beyond the transfer general education component and complete an AA degree or AS degree should be able to transfer as a junior (3rd year) level student


Contact for information

Arts and Sciences
Administration, 209
Office: 828-395-1301
Department Directory

Office hours

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Subject to change depending on availability.