Last updated 2/11/14
Isothermal Community College
P.O. Box 804, Spindale NC 28160
(828) 395-1307 fax (828) 286-8208
Charles P. Wiggins, Director of Library Services
Library Component for ACA 115 Courses
Note to ACA 115 Instructors
Please note the chart below, containing the Library sessions scheduled for your classes in the coming semester.
For any other issues please let me know and we will work it out!
- Instructors with classes marked in red, please contact the library staff member responsible for your class to arrange a special time for your Library session. See Library Staff and Hours for contact information.
- ONLINE ACA 115 Instructors: a Library presentation for distance learners is offered below the schedule for the traditional classes on this webpage. Let us know if we can be of further assistance to you.
- If your classroom has no computer and projector in it, we ask that you notify us ASAP, for then we must schedule another space where we can meet your class, since the Library no longer has a presentation space.
- If you need to reschedule your session, please contact me or the Library staff member responsible for delivering your Library session, and we will make adjustments as necessary.
Becky Cleland ~ 828-395-1525 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Instruction Schedule for
Library sessions for the current semester's ACA sections will be posted here for reference, subject to change as necessary.
Please contact Becky Cleland with questions or corrections.
Library Instruction for ACA 115 Online:
Introduction to Information Literacy and How to Find Information Using the College Library
These videos are meant only as introductions to the subjects they address; for specific information on any part of the content, consult your instructor or the library staff. The videos are short and are intended to be watched as many times as you like, until you better understand each concept. You can replay and pause a video to copy URLs or other useful information. Enjoy and learn!
Introduction to Information Literacy
and Searching for Information (3:53)
Finding Books in the College Library (3:55)
Finding Information in Magazines,
Journals and Databases (3:42)
and Using It Ethically (3:53)
For Traditional Classes: If you like, you can view Becky Cleland's ACA 115 Power Point presentation. (Requires Power Point on your computer, and works best when accessed through Mozilla Firefox.)
ACA 115 Library Exercise
The Library Exercise, in two parts, is available in .pdf files at this link.
Part One of this exercise, created by the professional library staff to introduce you to Library resources, as well as policies and procedures, can be completed using information found in the Library Handbook.
Part Two of this exercise is designed to familiarize you with finding information in common formats available for research. We recommend that you complete it after viewing the Library presentation Introduction to Information Literacy and Finding Information in the College Library (links located above).
The pre-completed Example for Part Two is included to help guide you in working on Part Two of the exercise.
If you feel you need additional assistance, please come to the library and ask the staff for help, or contact the library staff by phone or email. Library Staff and Hours and Directions to the Library provide you with information on "who, when and where."