Even though Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (CCC&TI) is an open-door college, you must meet certain requirements before entering the Truck Driver Training Program. An important requirement is the Reading Comprehension Test. A minimum 8th grade reading level score is necessary before you can register in any truck driver training classes.
Description and Administration
The Reading Comprehension Test measures how well you understand what you read.
The test is administered through the use of a personal computer but computer experience is not needed. Take the test very seriously. It is not timed so don’t rush. Read the questions carefully. Read all choices for answers before picking one. You cannot go back to a previous question, so make sure you answer correctly. You will need approximately 1 hour to complete the Reading Placement Test. A minimum score of an 8th grade reading level is required before you can register. You must bring an official copy of your test results with you when you register unless tested at CCCTI in Hudson.
Preparation and Minimum Scores
CCC&TI Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute: (Accuplacer reading test – Minimum score 40)
- Schedule the test with the Testing Center in Hudson. Phone 828-726-2719.
- The Testing Center is on the Caldwell Campus in Hudson, located in F-Building, room 127. Hours are:
Monday – Wednesday > 8 am – 7 pm, Thursday >appointment only, and Friday > 8 am – 1 pm.
- Pick up A Guide to Placement Testing with practice test questions at the information desk in F building.
- Do an internet search on “Accuplacer Practice” to find reading practice test.
CVCC Catawba Valley Community College: (COMPASS reading test – Minimum score 64)
- To schedule the test at CVCC you must call for an appointment at 828-327-7000, ext. 4260 or 4451.
Mitchell Community College, Statesville Campus: (Accuplacer reading test – Minimum score 40)
- Call Admissions and Testing at 704-878-3200 for information, and to schedule a Reading Comprehension Test.
Gaston College, Dallas Campus: (COMPASS reading test – Minimum score 64)
- Schedule the Reading Portion of the COMPASS test by calling 704-922-6214. Be sure to specify that only the Reading portion of the test is required for truck driver training.
Isothermal Community College, Rutherford Campus: (COMPASS reading test – Minimum score 64)
- Schedule the Reading Portion of the COMPASS test by calling 828-395-1416. Be sure to specify that only the Reading portion of the test is required for truck driver training.
To schedule your placement test for classes at:
Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute, Hudson Campus
(828) 726-2719 or
CCC&TI Watauga (828) 297-2185
Catawba Valley Community College, Hickory Campus
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4260 or 4451
Mitchell CC, Statesville Campus
Gaston College, Dallas Campus
(704) 922- 6214
Isothermal Community College, Rutherford Campus