Isothermal Community College

Continuing Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a GED or high school diploma to enroll in the course?

  • No, but if you do not have a high school diploma or GED, you must pass a Reading Placement Test with a minimum 8th grade reading level or better to register.
  • Schedule the test by calling the appropriate Testing Center. If testing at any college other than CCC&TI, You must bring the official test results when registering.

Q: Do you have financial assistance?

  • A scholarship fund may be available to assist students with tuition costs up to a maximum of $200.

Call 828-726-2386 for more information. For possible veterans’ benefits call 828-726-2714.

For job training programs that may apply (WIA, TAA) contact your local ESC or Job Link for eligibility.

Q: What type of equipment will be used during training?

  • We have single axle day-cabs, tandem axle conventional sleeper tractors with 9 and 10 speed manual transmissions and 48 & 53 foot semi trailers
  • Several trailers will be loaded during the road driving portion of the class.


Q: Do you do job placement?

  • We work with many major carriers and local trucking companies that will hire our graduates. Recruiters from these companies also visit our classes.

Q: When should I have my DOT physical and DOT drug screen done?

  • A DOT physical and DOT drug screen should be completed no later than the first day of class.
  • Note: A Medical Card and Long Form Physical will be issued to you at the time you take the DOT Physical. The Medical card is good for a maximum of 2 years to a minimum of 3 months (1 year required to enroll). Make sure the card is filled out completely and accurately with no corrections made on the card.
  • NOTE: Please be aware that the drug screen is not part of the physical. You will need to request and pay for the drug screen separately. A positive result will cause you to be dropped from class.

Q: Do I have to get my permit before I enroll in the class?

  • No, the first several days of class are spent in the classroom preparing you to get your permit, but you must have your permit before hour 135 of the class or you will be dropped.

Q: Do I have to do my final road test for my CDL at the DMV?

  • No, at the conclusion of the class, our third party testers will administer the CDL final test.