Applied Sciences and Technologies
Advertising and Graphic Design
Associate and Certificate programs
The Advertising and Graphic Design curriculum is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the graphic design profession which emphasizes design, advertising, illustration, and digital and multimedia preparation of printed and electronic promotional materials. Students will be trained in the development of concept and design for promotional materials such as newspaper and magazine advertisements, posters, folders, letterheads, corporate symbols, brochures, booklets, preparation of art for printing, lettering and typography, photography, and electronic media.
What fields or jobs are available for Advertising and Graphic Design majors?
- Computer Graphics
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Art
- Printing, Typography and Publishing
- Product Design
- Web-page Development and Maintenance
Who employs Advertising and Graphic Design majors?
- Commercial Printers
- Design Studios
- Event Organizers
- Freelance Work
- In-house Art Departments
- Packaging Companies
- Photography Studios
- Self Employment
- Sign and Outdoor Advertisers
- Web Developers
Preparing for a career in Advertising and Graphic Design you must:
- Be able to effectively utilize industry-specific software
- Be able to work productively both individually and as part of a team
- Be creative
- Communicate through various media including print and digital formats
- Create images using a variety of media including painting, drawing, photography, digital and other methods
- Incorporate the principles and elements of good design
- Learn to critique constructively and communicate effectively
- Research and manage data
- Solve visual problems
How can I know if an Advertising and Graphic Design degree is right for me?
Make an appointment to visit the Office of Learning Support and Retention. A career counseling professional will meet with you to help you assess your interest and abilities in an effort to discover a career path that is right for you. Call 828-395-1436 to make an appointment.
- Also, check out related books in the Isothermal library
More information on this degree can also be obtained by contacting the Applied Sciences Department at 828-395-1441.